- 8 to 10 organic eggs
- organic broccolini
- small organic sweet onion
- kale or spinach
- one heaping teaspoon of garlic, crushed garlic
- Daiya Cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- high-mineral salt
- Today’s show, a gluten-free, dairy-free, cheesy vegetable egg bake. Now you can use this exact recipe and do multiple things with it. One of my favorite treats is to buy a gluten-free, already-made piecrust from Whole Foods. No one knows it’s gluten-free. It’s buttery. It’s flakey. It’s decadent and you can serve it to anyone and I swear they will not know it’s dairy-free and gluten-free and they will love it.
- The next thing you can do with this is put it into muffin tins and serve it to your children. It’s a great way to get kids to eat their protein in the morning because it looks like a little muffin, so you’re making a little egg muffin.
- We’re going to use it in a Pyrex dish because I’m currently Paleo and I probably will be Paleo for a while, which means no grains and no beans. I’m staying away from all things wheat and flour related because of the insulin spiking of your blood sugar and just because we don’t really need it. I’m going to use a glass Pyrex dish. Now I’m going to spray this with some olive oil first, just to make sure that the egg doesn’t stick as much to the bottom. When you’re using your muffin pan, I would recommend that you put it directly in the muffin pan versus using a paper cup. The paper cup is cute, but it will stick to the cup and you’re going to use a lot of the egg.
- Let’s get started. For the base of your recipe this is a great way to get in all kinds of vegetables. I’m using organic eggs from Trader Joe’s. I’m going to be using organic broccolini today and organic sweet onion. Now you can put in kale. You could put in spinach. You can use frozen spinach. You can use frozen broccoli. Use this egg bake to get in vegetables people don’t normally eat. It’s a great way to sneak them in.
- We’re going to start off by cracking about 8 to 10 eggs. Next we’re going to beat the eggs and then start adding some of our vegetables. I’m going to put a whole small onion, cut up with medium chunks, not big, not too tiny, but you’re welcome to take and put your onion in a food processor and make it really small. That would be great too, if people don’t like chunks. I like chunks.
- Next we’re going to add our organic broccolini and I just choose organic broccolini because it’s in season and because they had it, but I love putting kale and, like I said, spinach. You could put zucchini in it. We’re going to cut up the broccolini, but I’m going to make bigger chunks. We’re going to add the heads of our broccolini stalks and, actually, you don’t need to waste these. You can sauté these. You can juice these. Put them in a little baggie. Put them in the refrigerator and plan to use them in your new fresh squeezed juice.
- Okay, so now I’m going to mix up my vegetables, my eggs, my onions, until everything is saturated with the eggs and then I’m going to add one heaping teaspoon – I guess this would be a tablespoon – of garlic, crushed garlic because I love garlic. If you’re not crazy about garlic, just put in teaspoon and try that.
- Next I’m going to add some turmeric because it’s great for anti-inflammatory properties and actually it gives it a great flavor. I love it. Next I’m going to add some tropical pepper and sea salt, again, high-mineral salt and fresh ground pepper and I’m just going to add a little bit because the best part of this, the cheesey part of this would be the Daiya cheese. This is my favorite gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free cheese.
- It melts. You can use it on pizza, but it’s best in egg, omelets, egg bakes, things like that. It has enough salt in it. You don’t need to add much more salt to this egg bake. I’m going to add two heaping handfuls and then I’m going to mix everything around. I’m going to put my oven on 350. I’m going to take my Pyrex dish and spray it really well. Okay, now you can get more creative and put all kinds of spices in your egg bake and, like I said, more vegetables.
- I’m going to move it around so we have enough broccolini in each of the crevices and I’m going to bake this for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes based on, again, the size. The smaller the pie, the less time you need, but about an hour is your benchmark and just make sure you put a fork in it or a knife and see and make sure that it’s all cooked.
Easy Healthy Recipes: A great way to add in vegetables in the morning and an impressive brunch item for your guests when served as a quiche. Even make it into muffins for you and the kids to have a healthy breakfast on the go! This recipe has been kid approved as well as enjoyed by adults with little to no time in the morning to make a healthy breakfast.
” My kids loved these!” T.L
“Thank you for all the wonderfully simple meal, delicious meal ideas. I love how family friendly they are.” D.W.
“Thanks JJ for educating me on how to feed my kids with healthier foods that they will eat!” D.L.
JJ Flizanes is an Empowerment Strategist. She is the Director of Invisible Fitness, an Amazon best-selling author of Fit 2 Love: How to Get Physically, Emotionally, and Spiritually Fit to Attract the Love of Your Life, and author of Knack Absolute Abs: Routines for a Fit and Firm Core. She was named Best Personal Trainer in Los Angeles for 2007 by Elite Traveler Magazine. She shares easy healthy recipes for you and your family.
JJ vividly reminds us that the word ‘fitness’ is not just about the state of one’s physical body, but also the factors which determine a person’s overall well being, such as easy healthy recipes for your home. And, for JJ, the key components in all these areas are ‘invisible’ — balanced support structures of nutrition, emotional centeredness and health.
A favorite of journalists and the media for her depth of knowledge and vibrant personality, JJ, a contributing expert for Get Active Magazine, has also been featured in many national magazines, including Shape, Fitness, Muscle and Fitness HERS, Elegant Bride, and Women’s Health as well as appeared on NBC, CBS, Fox 11 and KTLA. She is also a video expert for About.com and regular contributor for The Daily Love.
JJ launched her professional career in 1996 as the Foundations Director for the New York Sports Club, where she designed curriculum and in-house certification for new and previously uncertified fitness trainers. She has also been certified by the American Council on Exercise (ACE), International Sports Science Association (ISSA), and the Resistance Training Specialist Program (RTS).
With a focus on biomechanics, JJ has lectured for The Learning Annex and as a featured speaker for New York Times Bestselling Author of The Millionaire Mind, T. Harv Ecker’s Peak Potentials seminars, as well as corporate clients, including Pacific Gas and Electric, Hanson Engineering, and Jostens, Inc. She is the Wellness Expert for KFC International, the Health and Fitness Expert for the National Association of Entrepreneur Moms, and a Fitness Expert for Nourishing Wellness Medical Center.
She has been working in the health and wellness industry for 15 years, as a fitness trainer with a knack for helping her clients become more self-aware and self-empowered through her ability to quickly identify and pinpoint problem areas, and then create simple solutions involving exercise, nutrition and mindset changes. She is the Host of the new iTunes Podcast Show Fit 2 Love: Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Fitness for the Happy Life You Deserve which is six day a week video and audio show.
What sets JJ apart from her Celebrity Fitness counterparts is the holistic approach to getting results. Over the last fourteen years she has studied, used and applied Positive Psychology, Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), Law of Attraction, Quantum Physics, Non Violent Communication, Imago Therapy, and Hypnotherapy. JJ Flizanes has proven that she’s not only an expert in matters of the body and fitness—she’s an insightful and provocative author who delivers a timely message about matters of the heart.
Fit 2 Love: How to Get Physically, Emotionally and Spiritually Fit to Attract the Love of Your Life will be released in its second edition with Balboa Press in January of 2015.